I have a secret. I get paid to shop online, yes, paid.
I just had a nice little cheque deposited into my PayPal account the other day for doing just that. Want to know my secret? ... Alright, alright, if you insist.
My secret is Ebates.com. It's simple really.
- Create an account and login to Ebates. Canadian version here, U.S.A. version here.
- Shop online at the online retailers you would normally purchase from, and Ebates will tell you what percentage of the sale you will get back.
- Sit back, relax, and wait for your Big Fat Cheque to be mailed to your home address, or if you've connected Ebates with your PayPal account, the money will be automatically deposited.
My favourite part of Ebates? They have a button you can add to your browser, and suddenly your search results show up like this:
Notice the little E's above the search results with red %'s of Cash Back? That's the magic of the Ebates button. I used Ebates for a while without the button, but since I've installed it I make use of Ebates sooo much more.
Okay, so now you know my secret. But that's not where I stop. No, no, this girl doesn't pay more for anything than I need to, that would just be a silly use of money.
As you know from my last post, I'm heading to Europe in a couple weeks. I was in the market for some new luggage. I ended up paying $79.00 for a $265.00 suitcase, a savings of $186.00.
Here's some other tips I used to add up the savings.
- Always google 'Name of retailer, coupon/promo code, month & year' before purchasing. It's very rare that you won't find a coupon code.
- Sign up for the email list of the retailer you're shopping at. They often send a welcome email with a discount code as a thank you.
- Search the retailer on social media. Browse through the recent posts to see if there is a discount code available for their followers.
- Use a credit card that gives you a cash back percentage. Assuming you're paying off your card in full at the end of every month, you're making money by spending money!
- Make use of free shipping offers & codes, often displayed on the front page of the retailers site.
- Most obviously, search out a few retailers that are carrying your item, and check out the sales on the item(s) you want to buy!
- Ebates, Ebates, Ebates!
Doing each of these things separately might not make a big dent in the amount you're going to spend on something, but when used all together, it makes a big difference.
Now where's my episode of Extreme Couponers; Online Edition?!
This post contains affiliate links; a girl has to pay for her blog somehow.